Preparing for Your Surgery
Make the following arrangements
Have your prescriptions filled prior to your surgery. If you are using oral sedation for your surgical procedure:
- Please sign and return the consent forms that were mailed to you. Please contact us with any questions you have while reviewing your consent forms.
- Arrange for a driver to and from our office for the day of your surgery.
On the Day
Before your Surgery
Begin your antibiotics as prescribed for your Sinus Lift/Augmentation procedure. You will start the antibiotic one day prior to the surgery and will continue for a total of one week.
On the Day
of Your Surgery
- Eat breakfast. Enjoy your normal morning routine.
- Begin your antibiotics as prescribed for your Dental Implant procedure; one hour prior to surgical time.
- Dress comfortably.
- Feel free to bring your iPod or MP3 player and headphones to enjoy your favorite music during your surgery.
- Arrive at our office at your reserved surgical time.
Rest. Avoid excessive exertion immediately following your procedure. Watch a movie, read a book, relax and take it easy today! It's what the Doctor ordered!
Local anesthetic usually subsides anywhere from 30 minutes to four hours after surgery. Take mild pain reliever for discomfort BEFORE the anesthetic wears off. Two (2) ibuprofen (such as Advil) every three to four hours for a minimum of two days will usually relieve normal postoperative discomfort. We recommend you eat prior to ingesting your pain reliever.
- Apply the provided ice pack for 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off for 2-3 hours. This will aid in preventing swelling and discomfort.
- Follow a soft, cool diet the day of your procedure. Eat foods such as applesauce, ice cream, jello, pasta, pudding, soft fruit, soup, yogurt, cottage cheese, and soft sandwiches. Tomorrow you can resume your usual diet.
- At the area of your procedure only brush the chewing portion of the teeth. DO NOT brush the sides or between the teeth.
- Brush the untouched areas of your mouth as normal. Avoid toothpaste today. Avoid vigorous rinsing, spitting and drinking through a straw for 48 hours after your procedure.
- Begin your prescription rinse the day after surgery. Rinse with ½ ounce twice daily (after breakfast and before bed) for 30 seconds. DO NOT eat or drink for 30 minutes after rinsing.
- Slight bleeding or oozing is normal for 24 to 48 hours after your surgery. If bleeding is excessive, please call our office immediately.
Dr. Morales uses various sutures in the procedure area. Sutures may loosen, fall out or dissolve and are of no concern unless bleeding occurs.
NO SMOKING for 48-72 hours after surgery. This both delays healing and may cause pain and bleeding. Now would be a good time to consider quitting.
Additional Care Instructions
Mild to moderate swelling of the cheek is normal following the sinus procedure. Surgical swelling may peak in the week following surgery before it subsides. Apply the provided ice pack for 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off for 2-4 hours. After 24 hours, you may switch to warm, moist heat.
Slight bleeding from the nose is normal and may occur up to several days following your sinus procedure. Treat by tilting head back and applying ice and direct pressure.
Avoid drinking through a straw and blowing your nose for 10 days. If you experience drainage, gently wipe the end of nose.
Sneeze or cough through your mouth, do not pinch your nose. Use over-the-counter pseudoephedrine (such as Sudafed) for one week following your sinus lift. This will help prevent nasal congestion.Avoid activities that cause increased pressure such as blowing up balloons, playing musical instruments with mouthpiece, flying, diving, etc. Carefully following these post-operative care guidelines will provide comfort during your recovery and help you obtain the best result. Mild to moderate bleeding, swelling, bruising and discomfort can be normal after your surgical procedure. If you are concerned about anything you feel is significant, please call our office immediately.
After Hours Care
If you are experiencing a dental emergency and need to contact us after office hours, please call 414-282-2642. Press 0 and an operator will assist you. After gathering your information, the operator will contact Dr. Morales with your emergency concern and one of them will follow up with you right away.
If you are a referring doctor who has reached us after office hours, please press 0 and the operator will take your message and forward it to our team. We will follow-up with you the next business day.
If you need to speak with Dr. Morales immediately, please let the operator know and they will contact either of them right away.